Thursday, September 6, 2012

Goodbye Eric

Today is a sad and painful day for me and for my relatives. This afternoon, we officially bid goodbye to our kapamilya, Eric Stephen.




Eric, who is my second degree cousin, is a quiet type of guy. He is shy and humble. Well, I hadn't really known him much since I am more "kaberks" and closer with his younger siblings, Euf and Earl. Dodong Earl is my younger brother's playmate since birth (Ha, justkiddin'), but well, since they were very young. Euf or Dayon, on the other hand, is my sister-in-Christ in YFC, and we've grown closer because of the organization. But, Auntie Neneng (their mom) and Mama Grace are superdooper close, when in fact, Auntie Neneng's cousin is my Papa and not my Mama.

I always remember Eric to be the "errand boy" of Auntie Neneng - and even of Euf and Earl. When Auntie Neng comes here in our house to talk with Mama, most of the time, Eric's the one who sends her (through a motorbike) and the one who fetches her too. The same story applies to Dodong Earl, when he was still young and can't drive yet. Eric comes here and serves as a "driver" and "yayo" of Dodong Earl.

The bad fateful night still remains in my memory. I am an insomniac, and usually stays up late at night doing different things. But on the eve of August 27, I decided to go to bed early - just with no reason at all. I was already in bed at around 11:30pm. Before i closed my eyes, I sent Mama (who was in the U.S. that time) a text message about some stuffs and told her to just send a reply thru FB, and not to call anymore because I was about to sleep. Twelve midnight came and I'm still awake. Then the phone rang. In my mind, I was kinda annoyed, and said to myself, "Hagoa ni si Mama ui, nanawag jud bisag giingnan nako na matog na ko!" But after 3 rings, the phone stopped making any noise. So, I got back in bed and tried to sleep. After about 3 mins, the phone rang again. This time, I waited for it to ring 4 times before I went out of the room. It actually kept on ringing, and I had the same expectation - that it was Mama. So, I answered, "Hello? (with a tired voice)". "Hello day," the other line said. I replied, "Hello, dili ni si Inday, si Gayle ni." "Awh, Gayle, mata pa imong Papa?" Then I recognized the voice the voice to be Auntie Neneng's. "Natog na raba Auntie. Nganu diay?" I could now sense that there was something wrong. Honestly, I've known Auntie Neng to be a very kind and concerned relative. She does not disturb us during sleeping and resting hours without any reason. Then she answered me, "Naaksidente si Eric day, ingna palihug imo Papa." So, I immediately told her, "Akong pukawon si Papa Auntie. Teysa." Just when I was waking up Papa, his cellphone rang. It was Sir Dodong Guibao, a family friend and the current administrator of the Calape Mother and Child Hospital. His intent was also to inform Papa about Eric's accident. Then afterwards, we called the hospital. I texted Euf asking for Auntie Neng's cp number (because we weren't sure what number she was using), but she did not reply. Fortunately, just a minute after we talked with the hospital staff, Auntie Neng called Papa's cp. They talked. At first we thought we can ask the ambulance to stop here outside our house so Papa can take a look at Eric's condition, but they were already in Loon. The doctor in duty ordered the immediate transport of Eric because, according to them, his vital signs are weak.

Papa and I did not go to sleep at all. We just talked and made ourselves awake. He called his friend surgeon, Dr. Buac and even some other doctors he had known just to make sure Eric would be well taken care of. He didn't mind disturbing them because, again, it was an emergency. We both waited for updates and for Auntie Neng to call again once they arrive at the hospital in Tagbilaran. At around 1am, Auntie Neng and Papa talked regarding Eric's refusal for treatment. I was just on my bed, praying for Eric that time. After a while, Papa learned that Dra. Edulan arrived there. So, eventually, Eric consented for the procedure. Papa was already kinda relieved that Doctora is there for Eric. "Ayo ra niabot na si doktora, naa nay tigbadlong ni Eric ug tigsubay," said Papa. Before I went to sleep, at around 1:30 am, I receied a text message. it was from Euf, giving me a cp number of her Mama (which I asked of her earlier). Then I aked her where she was. She said, "na ko bhouse." Reading that message made me realize that she doesn't know anything about what happened. So I aked her, "Kahibaw ka naaksidente si Eric?" She replied, "Eric? eric ahung kuya?" So, I was right, she really did not know about it. I then texted her the details - where her Mama and Eric are, and that she and Earl should go there.

Before I went to sleep, i sent a GM (group message) to my cousins and friends, asking them to include Eric in their prayers. Kuya Dodot and I texted some friends too, who could be there in the hospital to check Eric or help out.

When I woke up in the morning, I received a bad news from Euf: Eric in coma. Hours after that, at around 9:50am, Auntie Eyen called and asked if it was true that Eric is already dead. I called Papa to verify and he confirmed it true. It was sad. And quick. And shocking. And heartbreaking.

I know this story is kinda long. But please bare with me. It really is a long story which happened quickly - without any warning signs and pauses.


Last night was the necrological service or eulogy for Eric. It was organized by Sir Dodong and the CMCH staff. By hearing the different stories from Eric's friends and coworkers, i have learned how genuinely good he was.

He was that kind and generous Kuya, the anak who listens to her Mama, the anak who never demands from his Papa for anything, the concerned and caring manghud, the protective and loving uncle to his niece, the courageous and helpful co-worker, the knowledgeable and responsible nurse, the best of a brother-in-Christ, and the perfect ERIC he was to everyone.


As Auntie Felma always says, "Eric lived a full life."



So, for now, I gues it's time to say, Goodbye Eric.


Photo credits: Rodel Ryan Yana

No comments:

Post a Comment